Samsung is finally tossing in the towel on Friday November 20th 2015 as it relates to Samsung Milk Video, the streaming video counterpart to Samsung Milk Music which I’d written about in Don’t cry over spilt Samsung Milk as Samsung Galaxy S5 and smartwatches disappoint.
Available only to Americans and only via Samsung Galaxy smartphones, the Samsung Milk Music and Video Streaming experience has been a very lacklustre one from the very inception. It was also a very expensive uphill battle against industry juggernaut YouTube, which is clocking 6 billion hours of video each month, 50% of which are on smartphones and tablets.
To compound Samsung failure, Milk Video was free, albeit Samsung did make Milk Music an ad subsidized service with a US$4 per month subscription model. This means Samsung is paying out the nose for Video content and was losing money while not getting much uptake form their Music Streaming Service.
So it’s getting the shaft on Friday November 20th 2015, a day after the one year anniversary of the launch of Samsung Milk in November 2014. Samsung Milk Video hardly had any reached and certainly will not be missed when the first anniversary of its launch comes around.
It also stands as proof that you cannot launch an app exclusively on as single smartphone, as you pinning you success of your service on that platform. Also payment for content is key; artiste royalties, delivery and distribution via Streaming aren’t free.
At this rate the Next Big Thing in Music will be a has-been once Apple Music picks up steam!
More on Geezam.com:
Latest posts by Lindsworth (see all)
- Samsung Electronics launches Life Unstoppable 2021 showcases IoT in the home - October 14, 2021
- Blue Origin breaks records as Captain Kirk goes into space - October 14, 2021
- Samsung receives EPA Award for Galaxy S10 packaging and e-waste recycling - October 10, 2021
- How Schneider Electric Modular Data Center herald 5G Adoption and VR Classrooms - October 10, 2021
- Samsung’s The Frame 4K Exhibition of Thyssen-Bornemisza National Museum Collection - October 10, 2021