“[the objective of the Science fair] is to get students to put into action what (they) learn in the classroom, and also to emphasise the importance of invention and innovation to national development”
Coordinator for science and technology education at the SRC, Amanda McKenzie, speaking about the SRC 2017 Science Fair
Science Fair lovers, your favourite competition now has a new date. Applications to enter the SRC (Scientific Research Council) 2017 Science Fair has been extended to March 17th 2017.
The science fair will be held at the Chinese Benevolent Association of Jamaica on Old Hope Road, St Andrew, on April 7. The theme, “Youth-centred Science, Technology and Innovation for Sustainable Development” will see the competition displaying the scientific and technological skills of young people.
SRC's National Science & Technology Fair … apply before deadline pic.twitter.com/gHKi6yVcxY
— SRC Jamaica (@SRCJamaica) March 10, 2017
This mean a lot of primary, secondary and tertiary levels, including technical and vocational institutions putting their skills on show and vying for top honours under the following categories:
- Food and agro-processing
- Information and communications technology (ICT)
- Electronics, with a focus on cybersecurity
- Health and safety
Expect to see drone demonstrations, quiz competitions. A lot of teachers with their students hunting for glory and cash prizes, especially after the success of Titchfield High. Albeit they’d placed third in the secondary school category at the 2016 science fair, they went on to participate in the Caribbean Youth Science Forum in Trinidad, beating some 28 Caribbean teams fir first place.
So definately gonna see the best that Jamaicans school student have to offer in terms of science and technology.
More on Geezam.com:
Latest posts by Lindsworth (see all)
- Schneider Electric’s Back-UPS Connect – Stay Connected during the Hurricane Season - August 21, 2021
- Huawei ascends Fortune Global 500 as COVID-19 Lockdowns boost 5G and IoT adoption - August 21, 2021
- HBO Max now on Samsung Smart TVs in Jamaica - July 25, 2021
- Huawei Seeds of the Future Program promoting Tech4Good for UWI and UTECH Students - July 25, 2021
- Samsung Bespoke Home 2021 virtually displays Samsung Home Appliances - June 14, 2021