Sony has revealed the successor to the PSP at a press event in Japan. Codenamed “NGP” for “Next Generation Portable” Entertainment System the device retains the brick form factor of the original PSP but updated into the present day with a slew up upgrades.
The minute you lay your eye on the NGP you can’t help but think that it is one sexy piece of hardware. The large OLED screen flanked by dual joysticks is enough to get any gamer’s heart racing, couple that with multitouch screen on the back and quad core processor under the bonnet and you start to understand that the NGP might be aming to be the Porsche of handheld gaming devices. But What about the price? No word yet but I am thinking the NGP or PSP2 or whatever Sony decides to call it will retail for about $300. Video and full specs below.
- CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)
- GPU: SGX543MP4+
- External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm
- Screen: 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
- Touchscreen: Multi-touch screen (capacitive type)
- Rear touchpad: Multi-touch pad (capacitive type)
- Cameras: Front camera; rear camera
- Sound: Built-in stereo speakers; built-in microphone
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer); three-axis electronic compass
- Location: Built-in GPS; Wi-Fi location service support
- Keys/Switches: PS button; power button; directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left); action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square); shoulder buttons (Right/Left); right and left sticks; Start button; Select button; volume buttons (+/-)
- Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G); IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode); Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)
Like the post above? Check out these related posts: