Preorders for the PS Vita, the successor of the hugely popular Platstation Portable have already begun as the Vita officially hits stores in Australia, Europe, Latin and North America on February 22 2011. The PS Vita first announced June 6, 2011 at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) officially launched in Japan and other parts of Asia on December 17, 2011. The device sold 325,000 units in the first few days. Currently US preorders are available from Amazon and other retailers at $299 and $249 respectively for 3G and WIFI only models Europe gets the system for €249 and €299.
According to Sony, “The PS Vita revolutionizes the gaming experience with dual analog sticks, front and rear multi touch pads, motion sensors, and front and rear cameras”. From looking at the devices spec, it is clear that the Vita’s features are synonymous with the latest high end Smartphone. The device has greater hardware specifications when compared to the official Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, however can the Vita be jailbroken to become a mobile Phone.
Here is a closer look at the technical specifications of the PS Vita:
- CPU – ARM® Cortex™- A9 core (4 core)
- GPU – SGX543MP4+
- External Dimensions – Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Screen (Touch Screen) – 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
- Rear Touch Pad – Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
- Cameras – Front camera, Rear camera
- Sound – Built-in stereo speakers
- Built-in microphone
- Sensors – Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope,
- three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
- Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
- Keys / Switches – PS button
- Power button
- Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
- Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
- Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
- Right stick, Left stick
- START button, SELECT button
- Volume buttons (+/-)
- Mobile network connectivity (3G)
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1)(Wi-Fi)(Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
- Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)
The VITA features an integrated standard simcard slot in the 3G/Wi-Fi model. In the US, telecommunications giant AT&T’s will be offering 3G data services over its Mobile Broadband Network. Sony says connectivity will change the way you game with real-time scores and game ranking news feeds, competitive multiplayer game sessions, and cross-game text messaging.
Vita’s Social networking feature provides an integrated unique user experience with a number of available apps and an integrated web browser. Using “LiveArea” PS Vita users can access the latest information for games through the PlayStation Network. “Near” allows users to find other PS Vita owners in their vicinity find out what they are doing and playing and also learn what titles are most popular in the area among other features.
The two cameras on the PS Vita creates augmented reality experiences by transporting the user’s own world into the game. The Vita’s motion sensor technology brings an added realm of interactivity by engaging with the game in a similar fashion to modern Smartphone’s where one can, touch and tilt the device as control options.
The device features a 5″ OLED screen with multi touch technology, however it pales in comparison to the display found on the Samsung galaxy s11, regardless one could only imagine the possibilities of the PS Vita as a phone. Priced at a perfect US $299 for the 3G model, the integrated ARM® Cortex™- A9 quad core processor would yield unprecedented levels of performance, power and efficiency in a mobile making the PS Vita the ultimate beast of a phone.
So what do you think- Can the PS Vita be jailbroken and if it does would it be a great game console or a better phone?
More on Geezam.com:
Latest posts by Geezam Staff (see all)
- TECNO SPARK 7 Pro debuts to bring users immersive cinema experience with BIGGER and BETTER display - May 14, 2021
- Tablet sales rebound in 2020 with Apple still dominant - April 21, 2021
- The Galaxy A52, A52 5G and A72 Make Innovation Accessible to All - March 18, 2021
- TrustSearch, the worldwide trust search engine by TrustUnion - February 25, 2021
- Handheld failures frustrate workforce and cost business, latest Panasonic research shows - February 21, 2021