I was on my way to the Huawei Experience Store located at Shop No. 10 in Tropical Plaza Half-Way-Tree when I happened upon this piece of news related to the Huawei G8!
I quickly realized that the Huawei Mate 8 and the Huawei G8 was on sale. I’m sure you remember the Huawei Mate 8 which Editor-in-Chief Kelroy Brown had reviewed in Huawei Mate 8 Review: The Whole Package?
Well, I’d covered the same device in an exclusive hands-on with emphasis on its advance privacy features as noted in Huawei Mate 8 brings privacy with Kirin 950’s TrustZone and secure OS.
A Quick check of @FLOWJamaica Twitter page revealed that this was indeed the case.
Upgrade your smartphone today 🙂
— FLOW Jamaica (@FLOWJamaica) August 24, 2016
Now they’re both on sale at FLOW Jamaica Stores as follows:
- JA$32,295 + GCT Postpaid for Huawei G8
- JA$34,295 + GCT Prepaid for Huawei G8
- JA$57,595 + GCT Postpaid for Huawei Mate 8
- JA$60,595 + GCT Prepaid for Huawei Mate 8
The FLOW Jamaica Facebook page revealed even more details on the stores at which the Huawei Mate 8 and the Huawei G8 will be on sale:
- Flow Flagship Carlton-47 HWT RD, Kingston 10 Kingston
- Flow Bargain Mall-Shop #10 Bargain Mall, Clock Tower Plaza, 11 Hope Rd, (10)Kingston
- Flow State Mall-Shop 1&2, 15-17 Half Way Tree Road, (Cross Roads), Kingston
- Flow Sovereign,Shop #45 Sovereign Centre, 106 Hope Rd, (6)Kingston
- Flow Tropical Plaza,shop # 11 -Tropical Plaza, 12-14 Constant Spring Rd (10)Kingston
- Flow Mega Mart, 29 Upper Waterloo Road(10)Kingston
- Flow Washington Boulevard Shop#10 Boulevard Shopping Centre, Washington Blvd (20)Kingston
- Flow Fairview-Fairview II Shopping Centre,Unit 11 & 12, Block B2, BogueSt. James
- FLOW Pineapple Place New Pineapple Shopping Centre, 101 Main Street, Ocho Rios, St Ann
- Flow Spanish TownShop 39 Sagicor Plaza, Spanish TownSt. Catherine
- Flow PortmoreShop 19B Block B, Portmore MallSt. Catherine
- FLOW Naggos HeadLot # 76, Congreve Park, Naggo Head, PortmoreSt. Catherine
- Flow May PenShop # 8, Bargain Village, 39 Main Street, May Pen, Clarendon
- Flow Port Maria7-11 Stennett St, Port MariaSt. Mary
- Flow Mandeville,3 Leaders Plaza, Mandeville, Manchester
- Flow Negril-Shop#10, Coral Seas Plaza, Negril Westmoreland
- Flow Savanna-la-mar, Shop #7, Beckford Plaza Westmoreland
You’ve already seen the Huawei Mate 8. So what’s the Huawei G8 like in the place where Earth meets Sky?
Huawei G8 – Adorable Black Packaging with Instructional booklet and decent accessories
The Huawei G8 was announced officially in July 2015 and launched in October 2015. Check out this video showcasing the features of the Huawei G8.
The review unit I was able to man-handle looked like a black brick fell out of the sky from the Huawei Gods painted with gold lettering.
On opening, it revealed the usual compartmentalization for the accessories and the instruction booklet with the G8 sandwiched in-between. Again, the strange runes decorated these boxes, making them look quite alien.
I carefully slid out the Huawei G8 and took some time to admire how this box was mechanically functional in how it had the G8 sandwiched inside, which such a sharp contrast between the smartphone and the box.
Despite its age, the dual-SIM smartphone with dimensions of 152 x 76.5 x 7.5 mm (5.98 x 3.01 x 0.30 in) that weighs in at 167 (5.89 oz) oozes with avante garde opulence. The G8 comes in a rather plain but interesting variety of colours:
The review unit, which was still wrapped in plastic, was a silver review unit, albeit I’m not exactly an expert on colour, as this looks rose gold to me.
Once unpacked, it has the usual accessories, which includes a white microUSB charger, headphones and a SIM card removal pin as well as instruction booklets.
You know how I love my accessories, so here’s a close up of them.
I especially love the instruction booklets, which was nicely packed into its own little box all by itself.
Now on to the G8 itself!
Huawei G8 – 5 days of endless selfie-promotion where Earth Meets Sky
The Huawei G8 is uniformly thin except for the slight bulge of the camera at the top. It’s got bevelled polished aluminium edges and a metal back that mates well with the screen.
The left hand side sports the SIM Card slot, which the easy-to-lose SIM card opener will help you to remove.
The right hands side of the G8 sports a clickable volume rocker as well as a power button. All nicely set and easily reachable in your pocket.
The bottom speaker grille looks an awful lot like the Apple iPhone 6 and seems to take its design cues from the Huawei P9 as I’d pointed out in Huawei P8 is a smartphone Versailles opulence Arc de Triumph for Huawei.
The top has a 3.5mm jack with a hole that’s most likely the noise cancellation port.
Its sexy 5.5″ IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen has a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels which translates to a 401 ppi pixel density. The OS is an Android 5.1 Lollipop which is a little dated and can only be upgraded to upgrade to Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
It has a nice layering of Emotion UI 3.1 which grants this smartphone multi-touch capabilities offered by the Octa-core processor. As with all of Huawei high-end smartphones, the potential buyer has the choice of two (2) processor configurations:
- 4 x 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53
- 4 x 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53
This processor sits snugly inside of a Qualcomm MSM8939 Snapdragon 615 with Adreno 405 bringing in the Graphics support! It also comes with two (2) choices for RAM and Internal Memory configuration:
- 2 GB RAM, 16 GB
- 3 GB RAM, 32 GB
You can expand on the internal memory by up to 64GB using the microSD card, which is the SIM 2 slot on the smartphone. The Rear-Facing 28mm 13 megapixel camera has an aperture of f/2.0 and comes with autofocus and dual-LED, dual tone flash.
The front-facing selfie ready 5 Megapixel Camera is also has a 22mm lens with an aperture of f/2.4 which is great for selfies. You snaps are secure thanks to the Fingerprint sensor on the back and you have the option of Bluetooth.
I suspect that the gym rats will love making hands-free call using the Huawei TalkBand B2 which I’d reviewed in Huawei TalkBand B2 is Bluetooth Calorie Counter for the Corporate Gym Rats as you Work hard, play hard!
The Huawei G8 is powered by a Non-removable 3000 mAh battery, which is easily rechargeable via the microUSB v2.0. This is enough power to last you through five (5) straight days of endless selfie-promotion where Earth Meets Sky.
So, does the Huawei G8 sale excite you enough to run out and get one? Then join their Huawei Jamaica Facebook Page, the FLOW Jamaica Twitter Feed and FLOW Jamaica Facebook Page and check out the Huawei Experience Store as the Huawei Watch awaits you to make loving Huawei Smartphones Possible.
Huawei Experience Store
Shop 10 Tropical Plaza
More on Geezam.com:
Latest posts by Lindsworth (see all)
- Weh Yuh Know Bout Dancehall game celebrates Dancehall Culture - November 17, 2021
- Samsung Electronics launches Life Unstoppable 2021 showcases IoT in the home - October 14, 2021
- Blue Origin breaks records as Captain Kirk goes into space - October 14, 2021
- Samsung receives EPA Award for Galaxy S10 packaging and e-waste recycling - October 10, 2021
- How Schneider Electric Modular Data Center herald 5G Adoption and VR Classrooms - October 10, 2021