Some say that WhatsApp is the the most popular mobile messaging app in the world. The app is now boasting one billion monthly active users. That’s more than Facebook Messenger, more than iMessage, more than LINE, more than Skype; basically any and all popular mobile messenger apps in the world.
Developing Economies driving growth
WhatsApp has not been the dominant messaging service in developed the economies of North America and Europe. It has had the most success in the developing economies of South America, Central America, The Caribbean, the Middle East and Africa as can be seen in the chart below:
1 Billion WhatsApp Users Worldwide
Facebook’s $19 billion acquisition of WhatsApp raised a few eyebrows but since joining the Facebook family the user-base has actually doubled. 1 billion users worldwide now use the app; drawn to its affordability and features in a world more phones are being used less and less to make actual phone calls. Whatsapp also recently announced that they making the use of its platform 100% free.
Charts via Statista
More on Geezam.com:
Latest posts by Kelroy (see all)
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 5 – String concatenation - March 4, 2021
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 4 – Basic Operators - March 2, 2021
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 3 – Printing and commenting - February 27, 2021
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 2 – Variables and Data Types - February 23, 2021
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 1 – Hello and Introduction - February 19, 2021