“Get creative. Stretch the boundaries of your imagination. Be bold. Be different. But, most of all, do your research and come up with a video that could go viral!”
Digicel Head of Public Relations, Elon Parkinson commenting on the launch of their 10th Annual World Telecommunication and Information Society Day Video Competition
Tuesday May 17th 2016 is to be celebrated by the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) as World Telecommunication and Information Society Day or WTISD 2016.
This is an annual event worldwide celebrating the contribution that Telecoms has made to the World in terms of bringing us closer and empowering business. Aptly, the theme for this their 10th year of celebration is “ICT entrepreneurship for social impact”, in accordance with Resolution 68 and as endorsed by ITU Council 2015.
Digicel Jamaica, not to be left out, partnered with the regional telecommunications lobby group, CANTO to launch the 10th Annual World Telecommunication and Information Society Day Video Competition. Announced Monday March 7th 2016, by Digicel, the competition is being promoted across all of their territories.
So yes, this is for everyone in the Caribbean, primarily active member countries of CANTO. Visit the link below for more details: http://canto.org/competitions/wtisd-video-competition/
So how does this 10th Annual World Telecommunication and Information Society Day Video Competition work exactly?
CANTO’s 10th Annual WTISD Video Competition – High School Children to get creative with Video
The challenge it being put out to 15 to 18 year old children to submit a three (3) minute video under the theme: “Inspiring ICT Innovations: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem through Sustainable Strategic Partnerships”.
In the video entry, students must demonstrate:
- How Information and Communications Technology (ICTs) inspires innovative ideas, products and services
- How Information and Communications Technology (ICTs) fosters entrepreneurship by utilizing and encouraging partnerships in their country
The top three videos (in order of points) will be selected (Loop News, 2016, March 7) and awarded the following prizes:
- 1st Place:
- Trip for 2 to attend CANTO 2016 in Puerto Rico
- Hotel accommodation – (double occupancy)
- A Tablet plus US$1000.00
- 2nd Place: Tablet, plus US$500.00
- 3rd Place: Smartphone, plus US$250.00
Digicel fronting CANTO’s 10th Annual WTISD Video Competition – A possible Herald for 4G LTE
Once entries are received on or before the May 1, 2016 deadline, they’ll be forwarded to panel of experts in the field of telecommunications and education, to be judged based on:
- Message content
- Technical organization
Additionally, 10% of their votes can be garnered from voting via Facebook
The competition will be staged throughout the region among active member countries of CANTO with Digicel promoting. This suggests that LIME Jamaica, who are also members of CANTO, may also be promoting CANTO’s 10th Annual WTISD Video Competition or something similar to this competition in a few days.
Entries received on or before Sunday May 1st, 2016 will be forwarded to a panel of experts in the field of telecommunications and education, to be judged on creativity, originality, message content and technical organization.
All finalists will be given an opportunity to gain up to ten percent (10%) of their final score from social media votes (Facebook). The winning videos are posted on ‘s website by Tuesday May 17, 2016.
With the emphasis on videos as opposed to blogging as was the case back in 2014, does this mean their 4G LTE Network launch date will be announced on Tuesday May 17th 2016 as some of my sources have told me?
Stay tuned to this blog as I go hunting for answers at Digicel…..
Here’s the link:
More on Geezam.com:
Latest posts by Lindsworth (see all)
- Samsung Electronics launches Life Unstoppable 2021 showcases IoT in the home - October 14, 2021
- Blue Origin breaks records as Captain Kirk goes into space - October 14, 2021
- Samsung receives EPA Award for Galaxy S10 packaging and e-waste recycling - October 10, 2021
- How Schneider Electric Modular Data Center herald 5G Adoption and VR Classrooms - October 10, 2021
- Samsung’s The Frame 4K Exhibition of Thyssen-Bornemisza National Museum Collection - October 10, 2021