Digicel is the largest mobile phone network provider in Jamaica with over two million customers on their network. It recently entered the wireless broadband market with it’s WiMAX powered internet service branded “Digicel 4G” and is enjoying relative success. A major factor contributing Digicel’s success in Jamaica is it’s proactive marketing and willingness to think outside the marketing norm. Digicel Jamaica’s Facebook page boasts over 250,000 fans and is a major receptacle and point of contact for many of it’s customers, Digicel’s Facebook page was started at a time when many local marketers had not warmed up to social media and thus many local brands are now playing catch-up.
Facebook and Google influenced Newspaper ads
Twice in the past few days Digicel has been run ads in a popular local newspaper using Facebook’s profile page layout and Google’s homepage as an ingenious, clever and inventive way to advertise it’s broadband services. Ads like these are exactly the reason why Digicel is a market leader.
Important piece of Jamaica’s Internet puzzle
Sandor Panton is a well respected internet and social media marketer who through his blog Sandorpanton.com commented on the ads by Digicel and in turn influenced this post. Below is an excerpt from the his blog post – the full post including a scan of the facebook-themed advertisement as it was seen in the newspaper can be read here.
“I see Digicel as an important piece of Jamaica’s Internet puzzle. Yes they are busy rolling out high-speed Internet islandwide for the masses, but importantly also, I see them as the standard that many local marketers and companies use when assessing what should or shouldn’t be done in marketing.”
More on Geezam.com:
Latest posts by Kelroy (see all)
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 5 – String concatenation - March 4, 2021
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 4 – Basic Operators - March 2, 2021
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 3 – Printing and commenting - February 27, 2021
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 2 – Variables and Data Types - February 23, 2021
- Python Programming Tutorial for Beginners – Part 1 – Hello and Introduction - February 19, 2021