Pebble has done it again…..on no less a place than Kickstarter.
This as their latest smartwatch, Pebble Time, has smashed all previous records, hitting its initial US$500,000 goal in less than seventeen (17) minutes after going live on Wednesday February 25th 2015!
Wait, more impressive stats coming that has already earned it a spot in the Top 5 Kickstarter of all time:
- US$13.2 million pledged to the Coolest Cooler
- US$10.2 million pledged to the original Pebble
- US$8.7 million pledged to the Oatmeal’s Exploding Kittens card game
- US$8.5 million pledged to the Ouya console
- US$6.5 million pledged for the Pebble Time in less than nine (9) hours the site
To put this in perspective, all kickstarters have thirty (30) days to reach their initial targets; the Pebble Time blew past that and is still going. Currently as of Thursday February 26th 2015, at 9:30am, the Pebble Time kickstarter has some 47,521 backers who have already pledged some US$10,256,198 STILL with 29 days to go.
The Pebble Time kickstarter will be fulfilled on Friday, Mar 27th 2015 at 9:00 pm Eastern. At US$10, 256, 19, it’s pretty much on a rollercoaster for the most funded Kickstarter ever. The mark left by the Coolest Cooler that was successfully funded in August 29th 2014 with a total of US$13.2 million will soon be obliterated.
US$159 Pebble Time – the Price is right as the Crowdfunding Support hints 7 Battery life is just Right
So what’s all the excitement about? The price may be a factor; US$159 when it ships in May 2015 or US$199 later in 2015.
The Pebble Time is still saying it’s hip to be Square, with a squarish design that’s 20% thinner than the original Pebble and even thinner than the follow-up the US$249 Pebble Steel as described in US$249 Pebble Steel rocks James Bond Playboy joie de vivre on your Wrist.
Gorilla Glass reinforces the watch face that covers the colour e-Paper Screen which is always on, rare for many smartwatches that have a power save feature. Yet, amazingly, it manages to achieve nearly seven (7) days of battery life. The Bezel is made of Stainless Steel and is designed to be Water Resistant. It also has a built-in accelerometer and comes in a choice of three (3) colours:
- Black watch case and silicone band with black PVD stainless steel bezel
- White watch case and silicone band with silver PVD stainless steel bezel
- Red watch case and silicone band with black PVD stainless steel bezel
Any 22mm watch bands will fit the Pebble Time which is a basic Fitness Tracker baked into a smartwatches body that works with Google Android and Apple iPhones and major apps such as SMS, Hangouts, Gmail, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp and many more.
So is this Apple Watch’s competition come April 2015?
It certainly looks that way, both pricewise at US$159, aesthetics-wise, crowdfunding support as well as the impressive seven (7) day Battery life. Can’t wait till April and May 2015, when BOTH these smartwatches will collide…….and Pebbles will rain down on Apple’s parade!
Here’s the link:
Like the post above? Check out these related posts:
Latest posts by Lindsworth (see all)
- KSAC to launch Paid Parking powered by Quisk and Digicel Business App - April 14, 2017
- FLOW Lyf Data Plans wins over Whatsapp, Deezer and FLOW Sports Fans - April 12, 2017
- How Quisk modernizes the Government of Jamaica’s PATH Program - April 9, 2017