The New Year starts off with a bang as analyst Nielsen has declared that the Apple iPhone 4S that sports the Siri Voice Assistant have indeed made a difference, cutting significantly into Google Android’s smartphone sales. The graph explains it best:
The stats breakdown is even more interesting:
- Google Android has 46.3% of Markershare in the US overall
- Apple iOS has 30% of Markershare in the US overall
- Google Android’s accounted for 46.9% of marketshare in December 2011AD sales
- Apple iOS accounted for44.5% of marketshare in December 2011AD sales
- RIM Blackberry accounting for a measly 4.5% of marketshare in December 2011AD sales
Time for another graph!
Interestingly enough too, the overall interpretation is thus:
- 46% of Fourth Quarter 2011 mobile phone sales were smartphones
- 60% first time buyers are buying smartphones.
Yet another nice graph indicates the uptake and adoption of the Apple iPhone 4S more clearly:
The explanation of the above graph is just as clear:
- Among first time buyers in December 2011AD Google Android came in at 51.7%
- Among first time buyers in December 2011AD Apple iOS came in at 37%
Now I shall begin to home in on the meat for the pot! Of the Apple iOS purchases by first time buyers:
- 57% were for the Apple iPhone 4S
- 43% were for older model Apple iPhones i.e. Apple iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, etc.
But it this last bit of stats that make me really proud and shows the high quality pedigree of Apple:
- Apple iOS marketshare in the Fourth Quarter of 2011AD moved from 25.1% October 2011AD to 44.5% percent by December 2011AD, a significant increase of 19.4%
- Google Android’s market share, in the Fourth Quarter of 2011AD fell from 61.6% October 2011AD to 46.9% percent by December 2011AD, a significant drop of 14.7%
Despite RIM Blackberry having excellent hardware and excellent support structure by way of reasonably price replacement parts, the reason for its popularity in Jamaica as acceded in my article Android smartphones may be king in 2015AD, but RIM Blackberry quality shines, the Apple iPhone 4S is clearly “boxing bread” out of Google Android’s mouth, so to speak, with buyers clearly preferring even the older model but stable and consistent walled garden approach of the Apple iPhones over Android powered devices!!!
Apparently Fragmentation is really a big problem with a phone that has no consistency in app experience due to the difficulty Developers have with coding for Google Android smartphones which can apparently be bricked by even some legitimate over-the-air Google Android updates, if CNET Editor Molly Wood in her rant on October 14th 2011AD on Android Phones is to be believed.
Quite fitting justice, as the Apple iPad in the nascent is going to get some of the tar licked out of them as well in 2012AD by Amazon curated Google Android 3.0 aka Gingerbread e-reader cum tablet, the Amazon Kindle Fire if my article Amazon sells 5.5 million Kindle Fires in Fourth Quarter 2012 – Apple iPad sales drop and plans January Press Event lights a fire of passion to defend the Apple in your stats lovin’ hearts, dear reader!
Apple’s Empire is getting ready to strike back, Star Wars style at the heart of Amazon’s Book and Publishing Empire starting with a book and e-publishing themed Apple Event slated for Thursday January 19th 2012 beginning at 10 a.m. EST (7 a.m. PST) and possible Apple iPad 3 announces in February 2012AD and launch in March 2012AD.
And with e-commerce now being possible via Scotia VISA Debit Card launched since August 2011AD and now clearly very popular with the jetset and online shopping crowd, e-commerce opportunities for the recently launched Apple iPhone 4S in Jamaica platform as noted in fellow blogger Kelroy’s article LIME Officially launches iPhone 4s in Jamaica via making apps for Apple iOS as note in my article Smartphones and Apps – Freemium Games are No. 1 may soon be a reality.
Stay tuned to the Geezam for more on this exciting development.
Like the post above? Check out these related posts:
Latest posts by Lindsworth (see all)
- FLOW Jamaica bringing TNT Series in time for St. Valentine’s Day - February 8, 2016
- Why Digicel Play 10,000 Subscribers spells trouble for FLOW Jamaica - February 8, 2016
- How Samsung Safety Truck will save Drivers Overtaking A Truck - February 8, 2016