Digicel has reached an agreement to acquire cable television, broadband and telephony services company Telstar Cable pending the approval of Jamaica’s Broadcasting Commission.
Digicel has acquired a number of cable and internet companies throughout the Caribbean in recent months but Telstar Cable is its largest acquisition yet though financial details of the purchase has not been made public. In recent months Digicel has acquired:
- Caribbean Cable Communications Holding Ltd – Anguilla, Nevis and Montserrat
- WIV Cable TV and TCT – Turks and Caicos Islands
- SAT Telecommunications – Dominica
Digicel has also been investing heavily in off-island sub-sea fibre bandwidth via various investment channels and agreements.
Digicel Group CEO, Colm Delves said: “We are investing heavily in cable TV, content and fibre across our markets to ensure that Digicel is positioned at the forefront of a data intensive world where our customers are able to enjoy multimedia experiences on multiple devices and avail of advanced solutions for their businesses. We look forward to expanding our footprint further in this space in the coming year through a combination of acquisitions and greenfield builds.”
Source – Jamaica Gleaner
Like the post above? Check out these related posts:
Latest posts by Kelroy (see all)
- Barbados to host CaribNOG 13 - March 22, 2017
- WhatsApp adds Snapchat-like feature: WhatsApp Status - February 22, 2017
- Pokémon GO expanding to include 80 New Gen 2 critters - February 15, 2017